Walter Hays Community Letter - 11/13/2020
Dear Walter Hays Community 🍁,
Happy Friday! I am happy to provide you with a resource to support your children's learning at home, as well as holiday health and safety guidelines.
Supporting Learning at Home: Resource for Parents, Guardians and Caregivers
Earlier this fall a short-term Parent Education/Advisory Committee engaged in dialogue around what would be helpful to parents for supporting learning and wellness at home. The committee, which included parents and teachers on special assignment (TOSAs), discussed the following guiding questions:
- What support is needed for families to use Schoology, Seesaw, and Zoom?
- What support is needed to help your student in distance learning?
- What support is needed to help students become independent learners?
The parent group provided feedback and recommendations that informed the development of a new resource for parents, the Supporting Learning at Home website. The website houses videos, articles and information related to educational technology "how-tos"; instruction; affective impacts of learning; social and emotional resources; and strategies for fostering independence. Resources on the website are aligned with the professional learning provided to teachers, the Social Emotional Learning summer course for students, and ongoing work to support parents with educational technology. Feel free to explore the website and watch for information about each section in future newsletters!
Holiday Travel Guidance
On Monday November 9, Health Officers from 10 Bay Area counties issued joint recommendations for staying safe during the holidays. Their recommendations cover gatherings and travel, with recommended steps to reduce risk including:
- Keeping gatherings small, short, stable, and outdoors
- Choosing not to travel if Nonessential
- For those who are traveling outside the Bay Area, tips are provided to help avoid catching COVID-19 or spreading it to fellow travelers
- A 14-day self-quarantine is strongly recommended after a return from traveling, if your activities while traveling put you at higher risk of COVID-19
For more information about the 10 Bay Area County Health Officers' recommendations, please click on the joint recommendations link above.
🦃 Thanksgiving Holiday Week 🍁begins at the end of school next Friday, November 20.
School reopens after this weeklong Thanksgiving Break, on Monday, November 30, at 8:25.
Remember to have your ParentSquare Health Survey completed by 7:55 a.m., upon the return to school, as well as each and every day your child attends school.
Have a great weekend!